Saturday, May 14, 2016

Weekly Reflection #2

Weekly Reflection #2

     Throughout the course of the week I spent the majority of my time diving into independent research. The past week and a half I have been learning about how a small close knit community is going to an inevitable outcome due to our current economical development. Through reading books like The Transition Handbook, Small is Beautiful and parts of The Creature from Jekyll Island and Voluntary Simplicity. The readings have all had very similar ideas which has made for a very repetitive week for myself, however I am learning concepts throughout each book that are applicable to the city of Franklin and the hopeful transition to become a transition town. As I am suppose to meet with Todd this Monday to discuss what I have worked on and how to develop a website for PermaCity Life. 
      The website I will designing will be called Franklin Falls Fitness Meet-up, however I am encountering problems with finding actual activities that occur within the city. Below is a list of possible acitivities that I found to participate in, however many of them do not have a formal group that meets.

Franklin Activities and Their Locations
Zumba @ Bessie Rowell Community Center - Tuesdays 5:15-6 Thursdays 4:15-5:00 and Saturday 8:30-9:15
Martial Arts @ Bessie Rowell Community Center - Tuesdays and Thursdays 
Kids (8-12) @ 6:15-7:00 
Adults (13+) @ 7:00-8:00
Open Gym and Game Room @ Bessie Rowell Community Center - 5th-12th grade Monday thru Friday 2:30-3:30 (Game room stays open until 3:45)

Recreation and Activities
Municipal Parks:  Odell Park

Golf Courses:  Mojolaki Country Club

Swimming: Webster Lake Beaches

Tennis Courts:  Odell Park

Ice Skating Rink:  Area Ponds

Performing Arts Facilities:  Franklin Opera House

Tourist Attractions:  Daniel Webster Birthplace;  Winnipesaukee River Trail

Youth Organizations:  Scouts;  Recreation Center

Youth Sports: Hockey;  Baseball;  Soccer;  Football;  Basketball

Outdoor Activities:  Camping; Boating; Canoeing; Hunting; Biking; Snowmobiling; Skiing

Ski Area:  Veteran's Memorial Ski Area


Through talking with Todd I hope to shed more light on what this website will entail. I spoke with Jennifer White at a meeting this week about possible website ideas, which we spoke of sites like Wordpress, Meetup and Square Space. This week has had challenges with creating a visible piece of work that I can take away from this project but at the same time I have learned a lot about the company and the operations needed to approach the revitalization of Franklin.

No comments:

Post a Comment